- Indian women’s team started with a win against Ghana
- Gurjit Kaur scored two goals, India won 5-0
- Neha, Sangeeta and Salima Tete also scored one goal each.
CWG 2022 India vs Ghana: The Indian women’s hockey team made a grand and winning start at the Commonwealth Games 2022 on Friday, 29 July. The Women in Blue thrashed Ghana 5–0 in their first pool match. Gurjit Kaur scored the highest two goals for India. Apart from them, Neha Goyal, Sangeeta Kumari and Salima Tete also scored a goal each. Now the Indian women’s team will play their second pool match against Wales on Saturday (July 30).
In today’s match, the Indian women’s hockey team definitely won, but still they need to work in many areas. Ghana could have scored at least four goals had India’s goalkeeper Savita Poonia not stood firm like a wall in today’s match. That is, the defenders have to understand their role very well. At the same time, the Indian strikers looked weak in the penalty corner. The Indian team was able to score only one goal in 11 penalty corners. The team needs to improve in these areas.
Today’s Competition Highlights
- Gurjit Kaur gave India the lead in the first quarter. He scored a brilliant goal from the penalty corner.
- At the end of the first quarter, India had a 1-0 lead.
- In the second quarter, Savita Poonia stood like a wall and did not allow any goal. He saved three goals in a row in this quarter.
- In the second quarter itself, India counter-attacked after successive attacks from Ghana and Neha Goel made the team’s lead 2-0. India were 2-0 up at the end of this quarter.
- Two goals were scored for India in the third quarter. India’s Sangeeta Kumari scored the third goal for the team. Then Gurjit Kaur also scored her second goal of the match while scoring a goal. By the end of the third quarter, India were leading 4-0.
- Salima Tete scored the fifth goal for India in the fourth and last quarter. Savita then stood like a wall and thwarted Ghana’s efforts. In the end, India won the match by 5-0.
For more Daily Sports News stay tuned to INTV News.